Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Plastic, frozen, babies anyone?



Firstly, the internet at our house was not working the last couple of days so I haven't been able to blog (excuses, excuses!). I could have gone out to the coffeeshop for free wifi but it was raining miserable yesterday (excuses, excuses!). So to those people I owe emails to, it is coming, I promise. Thank you to the good people of comcast for coming by and fixing the problem.

We had our baby shower last Sunday. It was super fun. The frozen babies were for a little parlor game that we had (no, it's not some art piece that I'm doing to express my feelings of motherhood). The game was called "water break" or something like that and the mechanics of the game were: each guest was given a baby ice cube to put in their drink and whoever gets their baby out of the ice cube first, won a prize. This was one of the games that John was able to look up for the party (another one I wrote about in my last post). I have to give it to my very versatile, creative and fun husband. He was the organizer of the whole event and everything went without a hitch.

We were very touched by everyone's gifts and wishes for the baby. This baby is very much loved and she will have a lot of babysitters (I have everybody's name that volunteered committed to memory, so you know who you are and there is no backing out now!) (hehehe). Of course, we got a lot of baby advice and stories. The one that sticks out most in my mind was this one conversation I had with my dear Auntie Pirima (we love you!) and it went like this:

Aunt Pirima: What kind of foods did you crave?

Diana: Ahhhh .... didn't really have much of any cravings. Except, I remember eating chicken strips with coleslaw for one whole week.

Aunt Pirima: Oh ... the baby will be white.

Diana: (confused silence)

Aunt Pirima: The coleslaw... it's white so the baby will be white.

I guess there's this filipino old wives tale that if you eat a lot of something while you're pregnant, your baby will inherit a characteristic of that food. Oh, and also when Auntie Pirima says white, she means fair skinned. I am Filipino, so I'm a little bit brown and John is Caucasian so he is pink (I say pink because he does not look white to me, nobody looks white to me).

Anyway, before I end this post, I was reading my friend Natasha's blog and I read that some miserable guy was ranting about her yarn and some other people's handspun art yarns. His post was just so hostile and unfair. I've bought yarn from Natasha not because I viewed her yarn to be some kind of high and mighty patooty art. I bought them because I thought they were beautiful. And I will pay good money for something that I think is beautiful. I am not an art snob nor am I a millionaire with lots of money to blow on anything that calls out the word "art" but I am a sensible person who knows what she likes and dislikes and also knows a thing or two about knitting. I also have an art and design degree, not that it's anything to brag about, but I think that gives me a certain qualification for giving my opinion on what I think is art and what is not. I've made things with her yarn, lovely things, and they are perfectly functional and the yarn was easy to knit with. The photos below are of a purse that I made with some her yarn (the body of the purse). It is one of my favorite purses, I didn't need to make it complicated because I thought the yarn made it beautiful just by itself. The texture of this yarn is amazing! The photo doesn't show it very well but there are shades of teal interspersed with the white wool and there are parts of it that has a delicate little shimmer to it (I think it's some silk in there).





I think he was just jealous because he wasn't making any money out of his own spinning stash.

Mister Darkeros, before you dog on some other people's work, show some of your own (using your crappy camera skills as an excuse is very, very lame). Natasha has a lot of clients that can vouch for the quality of her work. Do you have any that can vouch for yours?

2 comments:

Tim and Katherine said...

Do you still have those plastic babies? I'll take 'em!!

You're so crafty! But I thought you buried one of the cat dolls you made up to the neck and took a picture of it! Hehe

my house is cuter than yours said...

i did those frozen babies for my shower as well! only i put them in blue or pink tinted ice.