Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Crochet Mania!



I've been under a big crochet rock and have not come out to blog or do much of anything else. It all started very early, thursday, last week, when I came across this site and found Stephanie's "The Counterfeit Crochet Project". It was the crochet project that I have been waiting for. She is basically doing this art project where you choose a designer bag (like from Gucci, channel, YSL, etc.) and replicate it using crochet techniques. She is inviting crochet-ers of all shapes and sizes to take your hooks and make one of your own. I've started on mine but I haven't photographed the progress as of yet (which I will real soon). Anyway, as if the project wasn't fun enough to do by itself, she will trade you for photos of your bag (yes, just for photos) with one of her DIY, reconstructed, vintage clothing. You can send the bag to her if you wish so she can photograph it herself. Click the link for the project above to see all the cool purses that have been made or are in the making. I think the project is pretty hilarious but at the same time, it gives such a strong, serious statement against our "designer" driven culture of mass consumption. I mean, these bags are sold for hundreds (thousands) of dollars and people want them. So much so that whole markets are created to counterfeit these bags to fill the demand for people that can't afford to buy the real thing. The best parody for these bags is to re-create them using grandma's age-old crochet skills. Crochet is so homey and craftsy and so not the polished, streamlined, expensive look of these bags.

This project rekindled my interest in crocheting again. I've been looking to do a "modern" crochet project for awhile. My last (and still unfinished) crochet project is for a granny square bag (so old, so boring). So since my crochet juices are flowing, I've decided to make Mr. Potato (see above) and this little kitty...



This is what's on Mr. Potato's back ...



It reads: "I am not an old potato!"

They will be making their debut in my etsy shop soon. Speaking of the etsy shop. I have uploaded the basket backpack to the shop with all the photos so if you're curious to see how it works, just visit the shop.

I had a great time celebrating mother's day with my mom and my aunts last Sunday. My dad cooked up some great barbecue and just enjoyed the weather. Thanks to all those who greeted me a Happy Mother's Day even if I'm not technically a mother yet (2 months to go). John wasn't there to celebrate with me though, he had to leave for a business trip. Sigh... but he did leave me a great present, which was making me a little workspace in the garage to do all my craftsy things. He got up at 5am, on Saturday to clean up the ENTIRE garage to make room for a little studio for me. He is the sweetest!

Have to go and prepare for the baby shower we are having this weekend!



Doesn't baby food make great color palettes? These baby food jars don't have labels on them because they are for a game we are doing for the shower where you have to taste and guess what the baby food is. This is John's idea.

Talk to you all, later.

1 comment:

natasha said...

i am not eating that stuff! ew!

i love the potato! so cute! i really enjoy freeform crochet. for some crazy crochet, check out monstercrochet.com.