Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Got nothing to do today but smile . . .

Yesterday was weird. John wasn't feeling well and called in sick but ended up going to work anyway (poor guy!). Didn't get much done yesterday because I had all this chores to do. Laundry gets in the way of everything! Can you imagine if I lived back in the day when they only used washboards and clotheslines. That's all I'd be doing all day looong. That's what I'd be, a frickn laundry lady (although that's not bad except I don't get paid for it).

John and I are in a bit of a book binge here. Right now I'm reading a book by Christopher Moore called "Dirty Jobs" and it is pretty funny. The plot is about this guy that owns a secondhand store in SFO and accidentally inherits the job of being a grimm reaper.

I haven't been reading a lot of books lately, I've been addicted to listening to NPR's This American Life online. I think I've listened to their whole archive (some of them twice). I've decided to stop when I've noticed that all of my conversations started with me saying "I heard this story on the radio..." I mean it gave me some interesting things to say but I was starting to feel a little one dimensional. You know, like the "Band Camp" girl in the movie "American Pie".

I still love NPR. It is way better than TV. I love Ira Glass and This American Life. And while we're at it, I love you frickn Americans! No one makes for better entertainment than you!

Back to books, everyone should go and at least look at this one other book that we found called "PostSecret" by Frank Warren. The whole book is basically a collection of postcards that people mailed back to the author, with their deepest, darkest, secrets. I guess Frank Warren, back in the day, thought of this brilliant idea to give people out blank postcards and encourage them to write/illustrate their secrets and send it back to him. The postcards were given and recieved in anonymity, of course. He just left them in a lot of public places and given them to random people. And people sent them back. The result was this amazing book of funny, heartbreaking, and sweet postcards. It's interesting to see what people consider to be their biggest secret in life. In the very end of the book, there's a copy of the blank postcard, if you ever want to send in one of your own. I might do it. You should do it.

Okay, I have to go and do some sketching and I have some ideas for things to add to my shop. I will post some photos tomorrow. If I have time, I think I will go and find some thrift stores to browse in today. My friend natasha has been finding all these great "thrifty" things and I am jealous. And I STILL have more laundry to do. I know, I know....

NOTE: The picture from yesterday is a working drawing for a painting that I will be doing soon. She is called "Manang Pasensya" which means "Old Lady Patience" in filipino.

2 comments:

natasha said...

oooh! i am so excited! the blog looks great! there is also a website called found and a corresponding book that is random found stuff...i think there is a dirty section,as well.

you art looks amazing!
xo,
n

Anonymous said...

hi sweetheart
this is mom schreiber...just talked to john, glad the shower went good. wish i could have been there.
about the recipe, could you post it
the one for the corn cakes.
thnx

love ya