Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bunnies are cute!



I finished some crafty things to put on my etsy shop. The photo above is a detail shot from a filipino basket backpack that I "rescued" from being forgotten all about. These bags used to be big in the Philippines but not a lot of people use or buy them anymore (unless you are a tourist). They are basically baskets that are made to function like a backpack. Really strong weaving but monster on your shoulders if you put really heavy stuff on it. I think it was inspired by the indigenous Igorot mountain people that carried these huge baskets on their backs to carry crops up and down the mountain. I found this in a little shop in SFO that specializes in Filipino goods. I was feeling nostalgic. Anyway, I've decided that it needed a little bit more personality so I've added a little bunny applique (that I made) and some cool vintage repro fabric for the lining. There will be more photos of this on the shop once I get a shot of me wearing it (so it makes more sense. Well for right now, this is it. It's a teaser.

John was so happy to get his package of Chichi's corncake mix from the mail yesterday. We were obsessed with trying to make this at home from scratch for ages. We got hooked on this corncake pudding (called tomalito, I think) after eating at Chevy's. They serve it as a side dish. So after some failed attempts to make it, fate took pity on us and after casually mentioning it to John's mom in a conversation, she told us that there is a mix available for that (the just add water type). Hallelujah! The only thing was that they only sold them in select stores in the East and Middle America. So John spent a couple of hours last weekend to try to find someone that would sell and ship it to him. Hormel did. And this is why I married my husband.

I stumbled on this new blog written by this woman who specializes in felted things and she had a tutorial for shibori felting. It is so easy! I couldn't believe it. I've been researching shibori for awhile and the best book that I've found about it in the library was for silk shibori techniques. Her name is Betz White and you should check her blog out.

Okay, so I've got to go to a doctor's appointment and have to get a move on.

Here is a parting shot. I finished knitting this clutch with Luxe yarn and it is so soft and gorgeous. It reminds me of eyeshadow from the 80's (mauves, violets, pinks, shimmery).

4 comments:

natasha said...

i may be forced to buy everything from your store. so so cute!

and i love corncake too! did john tell you that i used to work at chichis? and chichis means "tits" in spanish? like the spanish hoooters.

Christina said...

Wow, that bag reminded me of the basketwoven 'suitcase' I brought with me when to the US in 1981. If it had the bunny on it, it would have suited my 5-year old sensibilities a lot better.

Looking forward to seeing more of your cute items!

Tim and Katherine said...

WIll you give me that woven backpack with the bunny on it? THANKS!

-Your sister

Shhhh said...

Kathy-

Sure you can have the bag... as long as you make up for it in babysitting credits ;).

Older Sis