Saturday, July 01, 2006

Pain Management



So half of this week was spent dealing with pain. Since I am prego at the moment, any sort of pain medication was out of the question. I found out that the best I could do was Tylenol at this point, which I didn't find out that I could take till after 2 days of excruciating toothache. Yup, me not going to the dentist "because I'm pregnant" is total bull and is biting me in the ass.

Toothache was one thing, then there was the heat. It was about a hundred degrees in the beginning of the week and I felt like a steamy dimsum bun. My legs and hands started to swell (so no knitting or crochet done during this week) and when I say swell, I mean, there's my leg then there's my feet, no ankles.

I had to be creative with dealing with the pain because of the lack of meds. It was pretty interesting because I learned all this "pain management" techniques at my childbirth classes so I decided to try those out with my toothache pains. I tried breathing deeply and relaxing more when the pain got more intense. I turned off all music and laid down quietly trying to "visualize" a happy memory (this was from the class). So did it work? Yeeeaah.... but after a good hour and a half and it only worked because I was so exhausted from trying to manage my pain that I went down for a nap. I know that I must sound like a complete wuss because this is just toothache we're talking about and I'm going to have to deal with something the size of a watermelon, pushing itself out of my body. Toothache, childbirth... yup not in the same pain category. But my friends, this tooth pain was somethin' else. I will give the dentist a call (!).

There was pretty much nothing I could do for my feet or hands. They are just going to puff whenever they want to. I was told to soak my feet in cold water when it swells and so I am doing that. It's nice actually because it keeps me cool too.

Anyway, I have a lot of work to catch up on. The little girl in the pic needs some clothes and I have other creatures that needs photographed. Off I go.

Diana

2 comments:

natasha said...

call me whenever you feel up to it. are you able to use a topical numbing thing like anbesol? it works wonders, i know from when my tooth was hurting...and if it helps at all, pain medicine doesn't really help for toothache, the anbesol does, it is a gel you get at the drugstore...ask the pharmacist if you can use it...

xoxoxoxoxo

Tim and Katherine said...

prego.. like the tomato sauce