Saturday, July 08, 2006

Simple, yummy things.



I've almost forgotten how good simple foods taste. By simple, I mean food that doesn't require one hour of preparation and a dozen ingredients. John grilled me this burger for lunch on the fourth and it's probably the best burger I've ever had. I found it amazing that it didn't have any seasoning in the meat although it did have some curious ingredients like spinach and oats, yet it was still very tasty (very meaty). The best thing about this burger is I didn't feel the heavy, grease induced sleepiness that I usually get after eating pub burgers. I also discovered my new favorite veggie, the sweet potato. John served the burger with a sweet potato "torpedo" which was a microwaved sweet potato topped with pecans and whipped butter. It was deee-lish and it only took 8 minutes!

John said he found the recipe for the meal in Men's Health, the man mag. I think the recipes in magazines geared towards women are a lot more complicated than those found in magazines for men, but I'm sure they are equally good. It's just that I think they want to give men a higher chance at success with simpler recipes.

Filipino cuisine, which I was raised on, involved so much prep time. The foods almost always has a sauce or soup base and that took a lot of time and ingredients. I mean it's delicious but I really don't want to be spending 2 hours in the kitchen simmering in the heat of the stove and the weather, for all three meals of the day. John and I had this interesting conversation about what the best thing America has ever come up with. He says it's Superman, my first thought was grilled hamburgers (It's not my definitive answer but it was the first thing I thought of).

I'm looking forward to a lot of meals like this especially since the little one is well on her way (about 2 weeks left) and we wouldn't have much time for elaborate dinners or dining in and taking out. Also, John gets 3 weeks off and he is the appointed cook for that time. Maybe we start with the meals but I think simplification will be a theme we will be exploring frequently in all aspects of home life, especially with a new "housemate" on the way.

Diana

XS. Before ending this post, I was handed a popsicle that appears to be a frozen banana, dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts. Yum-O!

2 comments:

natasha said...

i loooove sweet potatoes love them love. we have been grilling on our 10 buck grill and it rocks. have you made any s'mores on the grill yet? good!

didya have a baby yet? did ya? call me.

Lory said...

wow! I have not known you linked to me until now. I just had to post about you in my "upgraded" kusina.